PHP - bodge - scale (was Re: [rescue] decisions, decisions)

Jeffrey Nonken jjn_rescue at nonken.net
Tue May 3 10:33:41 CDT 2005

At 11:08 AM 5/3/2005, you wrote:
>The Perl I write tends to look very much like [non-obfuscated] C.  This
>is partly because I learned C long before I learned Perl, and partly
>because I have this silly idea that code should be readable and
>maintainable.

I always assume that the poor schmuck who will be staring at this bit of
code six months from now, wondering what the f**k is going on, will be ME.
I write my comments accordingly.

I've been known to hit a piece of code, wonder what the hell I was
thinking, start to fix it, and half an hour later finally figure out what
it was I was thinking and put it all back.

... and then write an excruciatingly detailed block comment describing
exactly how it worked, because I really, really don't like repeating my
mistakes more often than I can help.