[rescue] decisions, decisions

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon May 2 15:39:29 CDT 2005

Sun, 01 May 2005 @ 15:23 -0400, Lionel Peterson said:

> I have some nice little Compaq Deskpro EN Small Form Factor machines -
> Solaris 10 installs fine on them, supporting all hardware natively *except*
> sound :^( Haven't tried any 3rd-party drivers) - Linux won't install on
> them!?!?!

A friend of mine installed Linux on those, so it must be possible.

Did you try NetBSD or FreeBSD?

Regarding Solaris: even if the installer worked on my hardware, it still
sucks dead bunnies through a straw.

> It seems, at a minimum, to be a video driver/framebuffer-type issue, the
> install of Fedora Core 3 was fine when the install started, but as it
> progressed, the screen ceased to be updated, but by moving the mouse around
> on the screen, I was able to "find" things to click to keep the install
> moving forward. Once install was completed, it rebooted to "door stop" mode.

Try installing without framebuffer support?

> I'm going to install Solaris 10 on the machine and cal it a day - I was
> shocked that Fedora wouldn't install successfully...

I don't like Fedora personally, and found it wouldn't install on my
system either (a full PC setup).

It really does stupid things with partitioning too.  Then again, a lot
of installers do.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.