[rescue] Prices... Amazing

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 1 13:59:08 CDT 2005

Wed, 27 Apr 2005 @ 16:54 -0700, Michael Dombrowski said:

> Just did some looking around on Ebay in the
> workstation/server areas, haven't done that in a
> while. Systems are getting ridiculously cheap. Blade
> 100s for less than $250. U5/10/30 for less than $100.

[snip]

Yeah, but it is frustrating because I can't find similar deals on SCSI
hard drives.

I want to make a cheap fileserver, preferrably Sun stuff, but can't find
enough drives that I can afford.

Right now it is looking like I'll have to find a decent PC and buy a
some SATA drives.  I can probably get a PC server for nearly nothing,
and just need to add a SATA controller.

I was hoping it would be more like a Sun U2 with a 6-drive bay, but the
drive prices are pushing the cost higher than I want.

Up to about last year, I could get cheap and brand-new SCSI drives any
time I wanted, now they seem to all be used, or too expensive.

Still, I am actively scanning for some nice machines, and hopefully the
drive situation will resolve itself before long.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.