FW: [rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 1 14:04:04 CDT 2005

Thu, 28 Apr 2005 @ 10:10 -0700, Sheldon T. Hall said:

> > I run a lab at our school, and we just putup signs in huge
> > bold black letters reading "DO NOT USE FLOPPY DISKS, IF
> > YOUR DATA IS LOST WE WILL NOT HELP YOU, BUY A USB KEY
> > INSTEAD".
>
> Heh.  Remember when it was the hard drives that were unreliable, and we used
> floppies for backup?

No, but I do remember about two weeks ago when I put a flash drive in
a Window machine, and Windows promptly erased it, all of it.

There is a bug in Win2k and other versions that will cause this.

Basically it is something about Windows not recognizing the drive.

I love that.  The OS does something like, "I don't know what this media
is, so I'll erase it..."

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any