[rescue] decisions, decisions

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Sun May 1 15:18:20 CDT 2005

On 2005-04-28 8:07, r.stricklin wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2005, at 10:43 PM, Joost van de Griek wrote:
>
>> I have. VirtualPC 7 on Mac OS X. Haven't had time to tinker much, though, so
>> it might just be me. But it didn't run OOB.
>
> I couldn't get 8, 9, or 10 to install on my G4, under either of VPC 5 or 6.
>
> Have you tried many esoteric systems yet under VPC 7? I can't figure out if
> newer versions are getting more, or less compatible.

Well, when VPC was still a Connectix product, I can imagine it was in their
best interest to make it as compatible as possible.

However, VPC, as of version 6.something is a Microsoft product, and it is
most defenitely not in their interest to make it compatible with anything
but the Windows family of OS's. IIRC, support for non-Microsoft OS's on VPC
has already been dropped.

Let's just hope VPC isn't mangled into a Windows application environment
instead of the geek toy it is now.

> For example, NEXTSTEP for Intel runs under VPC5, but not VPC6. OS/2 Warp
> Connect is just the wrong side of stable on either, but in different ways. AIX
> 1.3 almost boots on both. BeOS r5 isn't terribly happy with VPC6  either. I've
> been wondering whether I ought to give VPC 7 a shot, but I just can't make
> myself drink the Kool-Aid.

Never gotten BeOS (R4.5) to work on any version of VPC I have (pretty much
all of them, I think). OS/2 2.1 sort of runs, but there are problems.
NetBSD, OpenBSD and FreeBSD run admirably, no tweaking necessary. I reckon
tons of Linux ports run, too. Haven't tried any, though. QNX 4.24 boots, but
I haven't played with it much, yet. Longhorn doesn't run at all, it
completely destroyed its VM. CP/M-86 1.1 works fine, as do most DOS versions
(DR-DOS, Caldera OpenDOS). GEM works for me, too.

> it's black maaaaagic

That it sure is.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
"Visual Basic is the programming equivalent of playing with coloured
blocks that squeak when you squeeze them."