[rescue] Prices... Amazing

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Mon May 2 17:59:18 CDT 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 04:58:20PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sun, 01 May 2005 @ 16:01 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:
>
> I'd like to hear from someone who knows they'll work with SATA first
> though.

The SIL1334 chipsets are supposed to work with Solaris 10.  Check the
HCL first though.

> Of course, I might have to consider making it run databases and
> applications too.  Space constraints are an issue I've not fully
> resolved yet, I just hope to.  I don't need tremendous hourspower
> for the database work that I do.  Maybe it would be OK.

For Postgres, assuming you have the RAM:

1.  Put PG data on its own disk
2.  set buffers=2000 or so
3.  turn off fsync after every insert (forget name of setting in postgresql.conf)

> After all, an SS5 is currently doing DNS, Squid, PostgreSQL, MySQL, NFS
> server, and mail server duties... :)

Doubt you will have any problem with anything PII or better.

> Anyone use them?  I think they were called Netserver or something.  Kind
> of a beige/gray case, tower PC height, about twice as deep, and usually
> two SCSI busses.

Yes, they are nicely designed systems.  The non-profit I sit of the
board of has some old ones they will be getting rid of for cheap... in
Lancaster, PA.  Any interest?

--Patrick