[rescue] Ultra 5/360 ok for low-volume spamassassin, etc?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Mar 23 14:52:08 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:27:07PM +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:

> Is it fast enough to run postfix with spamassassin, clamav, razor, etc as
> my family mail server (low volume - about 2,600 messages a day - we love
> our mailing lists :P)?  I'll be using an IDE disk initially (yuck) as I
> don't have any Symbios 875 controllers at hand (will source one ASAP). OS
> will be NetBSD, either 1.6.2 or 2.0 (don't really want to run into the 2.0
> sparc64 stability issues, so may go with 1.6.2 for the moment).

One way to save CPU time is to filter out the mail from closed mailing
lists before you push it through spamasssian, clamav, etc.

For example, Mr Bill does that for us with this mailing list, so I don't
do it again. Of course I read my mail on a Linux system* using mutt, so
there is little chance of my getting anything bad anyway.

Yahoo deletes ALL attachments, so it's (IMHO) pretty safe to let thorugh
all of their lists without checking.

Geoff.

* At this point, I'm ssh'ed in from a powerbook running OS X via Wifi. :-)
IL Voice: 972-2-679-6896  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
VoIP (Email to schedule) Free World Dialup: 523178  Skype: gsmendelson