[rescue] Ultra 5/360 ok for low-volume spamassassin, etc?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Mar 23 15:13:49 CST 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:27:07 +0200
Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za> wrote:

> Is it fast enough to run postfix with spamassassin, clamav, razor, etc
> as my family mail server
The mail server for unixag-kl.fh-kl.de is a RS/6000 43P-140 (PPC 604,
233 MHz, 256 MB RAM) running a setup similar to yours. So I expect a
U5/360 should do.

> I'll be using an IDE disk initially (yuck) as I don't have any Symbios
> 875 controllers at hand (will source one ASAP).
Do this. The IDE controler of the U5 / U10 is inferior.

> OS will be NetBSD, either 1.6.2 or 2.0 (don't really want to run into
> the 2.0 sparc64 stability issues, so may go with 1.6.2 for the
> moment).
I use NetBSD/sparc64 2.0 on my main NetBSD machine and it is stable.
AFAIK there are some pthread related problems in 2.0. You may try
3.0_BETA. There are many fixes in 3.0, IIRC the "sleep sleeps for ever"
bug is fixed in 3.0.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen