[rescue] 36G SCA drives still looking

erie erie at shelbyvilledesign.com
Fri Mar 4 10:41:06 CST 2005

The only thing that worries me about SATA drives is that the hda is
(quoting a friend of mine that works for a HD mfr) "identical to the
ones used in our IDE line"..
anyone notice how long ata drives last these days? I've got 10+year old
st-506 drives on the shelf that will fire up still, a few of them after
4+ years of 24/7 operation.
I have a bunch of SCSI drives in an array on a proliant 6000 that ran
24/7 for 2+ years before I got them over 2 years ago, anyone know of an
IDE drive that will?

reliability is suspect, and until I see some real world numbers (not
MTBF #'s, I worked at DEC when we rolled out our 5 1/4" drives, I know
how MTBF is calculated..)

erie