[rescue] 36G SCA drives still looking

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Mar 4 09:21:04 CST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:28:50AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> What about the 50GB 1.6inch SCA drives at www.softwareandstuff.com?
> About $40 each.
>
> So you pay $60 for 80GB SATA vs. $80 for 100GB SCSI (used vs. new
> though).

Well, I wouldn't really call it $80 for 100GB since he sounds like he
needs reliability, so it would be more like $120 for 80 versus $148
(actual price plus attempt to factor in the part of shipping to cover
more than two drives) for 100 gb.  Plus, an array to hold it since PCs
with two internal disks aren't uncommon, but space for 4 seem less
common.

However, if he had a hardware RAID controller that did RAID5 well, the
SCSI price would be more like $111 for 100gb for only 3 disks.  Assuming
he has a good hardware raid controller already.  Though, buying one for
linux may be pretty cheap.

Anyway, I would write SCSI off.  Still, SATA is extremely appealing.
Especially for the space consience.  I'm thinking long and hard of
SATA for my next file server.  If only I could figure out what the
optimal machine to stick it in would be.  I'm tempted by a U30 and
NetBSD/SPARC64.  That machine looks like it should be able to keep up
with a SATA mirror and GigE (I don't have any GigE yet, but I figure I
should plan ahead since if nothing else it would be easy to also slap a
GigE card in the Mac).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net