[rescue] 36G SCA drives still looking

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Fri Mar 4 11:01:11 CST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:41:06AM -0600, erie wrote:
> The only thing that worries me about SATA drives is that the hda is
> (quoting a friend of mine that works for a HD mfr) "identical to the
> ones used in our IDE line"..

Yes, they basically ARE exactly the same aside from the connector.

> anyone notice how long ata drives last these days? I've got 10+year old

As I understand it, the bearings are not stainless steel balls, but an
oil-based bearing.  Over time the oil will leak out, and either the
bearing will fail or the oil will end up somewhere else, i.e. on the
platter.

I have had pretty good success with both IDE and SCSI drives.  Backups
however are always a good idea :-)

--Patrick