[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Wed Jun 29 13:05:53 CDT 2005

Sandwich Maker writes ...

[snip]

> i know we gave the russians lots of tooling under lend/lease in ww2.
> from suspiciously identical specs this included a wide variety of
> radial a/c engines, at least one sikorski heli, and something called a
> 'tupolev tu-2' [or whatever the 'design bureau' was] that matched
> cm-for-inch the dc3.  iirc they were made into the '60s and were
> russia's standard siberia plane, displaced by the inferior yak-40 jet.
>
> maybe the dc3 clone was called the yak-2.  either way, makes me wonder
> how many gooneys wandering the world's hinterlands are gen-u-wine
> douglases or russkie knockoffs?

And still she flies ...

http://www.centercomp.com/cgi-bin/dc3/story?1303

An acquaintance was at the controls of a ski-equipped DC-3 in Greenland,
taking off from the icecap, when one of the engines failed.  Spectacularly.
Big fireball, a jug or two departing along with the ring cowling, etc.
Still, she completed the takeoff, made a reasonable altitude, and continued
her flight to a real airport where they could replace the engine.

-Shel