[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Jun 29 11:33:09 CDT 2005

" From: Wes Will <wwill at siu.edu>
"
" Discovery, and the Land Rover loyalists got their knickers in a knot over
" that... ("They ALREADY had a Series II")
"
" If there ever was a vehicle to get loyal to enough to wear knotted
" knickers, this would be it.  Those original LandRovers (like Daktari and
" Born Free and the like, yes) are probably STILL running.  Kidney-killing,
" butt-whupping, go anywhere and get you there alive, they're the land-borne
" analogue of the Douglas DC3 (Goonybird).  As much as I despise flying, I'd
" get in a DC3 with fewer qualms than almost anything else.

which reminds me...  in my misspent semi-youth, i went through -all-
the back jane's a/c in the mit aero/astro library.

i know we gave the russians lots of tooling under lend/lease in ww2.
from suspiciously identical specs this included a wide variety of
radial a/c engines, at least one sikorski heli, and something called a
'tupolev tu-2' [or whatever the 'design bureau' was] that matched
cm-for-inch the dc3.  iirc they were made into the '60s and were
russia's standard siberia plane, displaced by the inferior yak-40 jet.

maybe the dc3 clone was called the yak-2.  either way, makes me wonder
how many gooneys wandering the world's hinterlands are gen-u-wine
douglases or russkie knockoffs?