[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 29 13:17:25 CDT 2005

Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> And still she flies ...
>
> http://www.centercomp.com/cgi-bin/dc3/story?1303
>
> An acquaintance was at the controls of a ski-equipped DC-3 in Greenland,
> taking off from the icecap, when one of the engines failed.  Spectacularly.
> Big fireball, a jug or two departing along with the ring cowling, etc.
> Still, she completed the takeoff, made a reasonable altitude, and continued
> her flight to a real airport where they could replace the engine.

One thing to be said for those big radial engines was that they could
soak up enormous amounts of damage and continue to run.  I recall
hearing of a B-17 that returned to base on all four engines despite one
engine having lost the entire first row of cylinders to a near-miss from
an 88mm round.

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518