[rescue] Looking : Sgi/Sun stuff

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Jun 29 08:26:14 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 08:26:11AM -0500, Wes Will wrote:

> >I just sat at one last night that was 24-bit.
> >Mike Hebel
>
> My campus-supplied work box, on the properties display under Winsucks
> XceptionallyPutrid, currently set at 32-bit colour, 1280x1024 size.  It's a
> Dell 1703FP in digital mode (has an analogue input as well, which makes a
> sort of cheap kvm without the k or the m, for my Mac next to it).  Driving
> it is an Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 (8xAGP).

Even 18bit LCDs show up as 24 or 32 from the perspective of Windows.

> Using a colour correction utility to display a spectrum, black is eehhh,
> almost black, white is rather good, nice and bright at least, and the
> gradients are pretty well separted evenly, with a little preference for the
> red, oddly enough.

On the NEC AccuSync I have at work, black is a bit strange.  I couldn't
say what is wrong exactly, except it picks up a lot of ambiant
reflection from me and the keyboard.  When the room is dark, but black
looks slightly blue.

I don't really have any good files for properly setting the calibration
handy.  Too much hassle under linux on machine that just needs to look
nice, rather than actually being correct.  I'd love to someday get it
calibrated correctly if the linux tools would ever get better.

The other LCD I have (Vision I think is the brand) is nice and sharp,
but the color is everything people accuse LCDs of being.  Horrible.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/