[rescue] Looking : Sgi/Sun stuff

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Jun 28 14:56:44 CDT 2005

On Jun 28, 2005, at 10:56 AM, Aaron Finley wrote:

> Andrew Weiss wrote:
>
> Well what are you doing with it? Whats your app? The Viewsonic is
> perfect for web work and web browsing and word processing and the
> like,
> but when I try to do color corrections and compositing on it, the
> pixels
> are right there in my face.

Basic Mac OS X use... includes Safari, Mail.app, Terminal.app,
Photoshop 7 for photo manipulation, iPhoto, many Games, watching
DVD's... basically a lot of stuff...

I'm using a Radeon Mac Edition (original), DVI-I, 1280x1024.  I only
see artifacting on the Windows box (Radeon 9600 XT AGP4x) and only
with older Windows icons that are 8bit anyhow.  Gradients are totally
smooth.  I'm using full anti-aliasing as far as it is available
everywhere.  The screen door effect is only visible from 1 ft nose to
screen and closer... but even then it's uncomfortable to see because
of the brightness of the white areas in a lot of the applications I
use like Mail.app... I have to stare at the scroll bars and then move
off of them.  It hurts... so when I relax I have to get even closer
to see them and be bothered by them.

Did you look at the SDM HS95 hooked up to a display unit with a DVI
display?

>> I use it on a Mac with DVI... on the mac more so than the one on my
>> girlfriend's Win2K3 box I don't see any pixels at all...
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> And finally, I do not see how I am too picky as many have
> suggested, if
> I do not have the problem with my *8 year old* SGI 1600SW. Come on,
> LCD
> technology should have improved somewhere along the last 8 years. But
> the SGI wins hands down with .230mm dot pitch across the entire
> screen.
> I just think most of you are used to subpar screens and have never
> used
> something without pixelation. Try a 1600SW or a VP2290B and then go
> back
> to your .294mm flatscreen.

I've seen a 1600SW... I've repaired them... they're not that nice in
my opinion.

They were great for the time period but they are like standard LCD's
in that they go grey when off rather than the shiny black of
XBrite... XBrite is really nice and much easier to clean than a
standard LCD.  XBrite also makes everything more crisp looking.  I
came from years of 1600x1200 use on an Apple Studio 21" CRT... it was
a very good display.

I also don't need glasses and have very good vision... like I said...
it's probably a visual cortex wiring issue... not necessarily a
display quality issue.

> On a side note, I went to the store yesterday and looked at a couple
> .294mm flatscreens. The problem is really much worse than my
> Viewsonic.
> There is now a .064 difference in pitch between my reference SGI and
> your screens, or what, 127% bigger pixels? Plainly noticeable. I don't
> understand how you people don't see it. I'm almost willing to loan my
> SGI out at this point.
>
> I did look at the Apple Cinemas, and they were liveable. So maybe I
> will
> get the LG version (same panel) of the Apple 23.

Cool... if it works for you that's awesome.

Andrew

"I BET WITH SOME LIQUID COOLING YOU COULD GET TO 500MHZ! OMGWTFBBQ!"
-- Bill Bradford joking about what to do with Cyclequads