[rescue] Best video upgrade for Ultra 5?

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Wed Jun 22 15:39:56 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:53:55PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> Some time ago I got a U5 board, CPU and PCI riser card for cheap off
> epay. It needed some surgery with the soldering iron on the CPU
> connector to replace broken pins... Now it houses in an old PeeCee box.
> At least it is better then having the naked board around. I call this
> machine "Franken5". ;-)

Hehe. Did you need to do any surgery to get it to work with a PC PSU?

> You can't extrapolate from i386 to sparc64. If you think about using a
> non Rage II / Pro based card you should ask Micheal on the
> port-sparc64 at NetBSD list.

Indeed. I'll check with him and see if he's tested any other cards.

> I can't remember the highest bpp I got out of my Franken5 at 1280x1024.
> At least you can get 15 / 16 bpp at 1280x1024 with the Rage Pro.

OK. I think the Rage II is only 8-bit isn't it?

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mj.turner.org.za/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/