[rescue] Best video upgrade for Ultra 5?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jun 22 14:53:55 CDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:09:02 +0200
Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za> wrote:

> Hmm... Was thinking of putting it in a PC case, but that seems like
> sacrilege :)
Some time ago I got a U5 board, CPU and PCI riser card for cheap off
epay. It needed some surgery with the soldering iron on the CPU
connector to replace broken pins... Now it houses in an old PeeCee box.
At least it is better then having the naked board around. I call this
machine "Franken5". ;-)

> I was thinking of getting an XVR-7000 (the Radeon 7*-based
> card), but I'm not sure if that's the best option (or even if its
> supported by NetBSD/sparc64 - I'm sure there is NetBSD/i386 support,
> but that doesn't mean anything).
You can't extrapolate from i386 to sparc64. If you think about using a
non Rage II / Pro based card you should ask Micheal on the
port-sparc64 at NetBSD list.

> FWIW, my U5 has:
> machfb0 at pci1 dev 2 function 0: ATI Technologies 3D Rage Pro
I can't remember the highest bpp I got out of my Franken5 at 1280x1024.
At least you can get 15 / 16 bpp at 1280x1024 with the Rage Pro.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen