[rescue] Best video upgrade for Ultra 5?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Jun 22 15:55:49 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 15:39, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:53:55PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> > Some time ago I got a U5 board, CPU and PCI riser card for cheap
> > off epay. It needed some surgery with the soldering iron on the CPU
> > connector to replace broken pins... Now it houses in an old PeeCee
> > box. At least it is better then having the naked board around. I
> > call this machine "Franken5". ;-)
>
> Hehe. Did you need to do any surgery to get it to work with a PC PSU?

Well, the power supply in an Ultra 5 is ATX...  I've replaced some U5
power supplies with 300W ATX ones, and it's worked just fine.  (And a
lot better than when I tried replacing them with Compaq 143W ATX power
supplies. ;)

> > I can't remember the highest bpp I got out of my Franken5 at
> > 1280x1024. At least you can get 15 / 16 bpp at 1280x1024 with the
> > Rage Pro.
>
> OK. I think the Rage II is only 8-bit isn't it?

I don't think so...  According to sunsolve:

Graphics  	One graphics port (HD15), onboard 8- or 24-bit frame buffer

So, you should be able to get 24-bit color out of the onboard ATI
framebuffer.

Pat