[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 9 18:14:01 CDT 2005

Tue, 07 Jun 2005 @ 09:59 -0500, Steve Hatle said:

> Now today I'm pissed. I guess I've moved to the "anger" stage, wherever that
> fits. Eff'ers. I guess I'll have to be like sambo and go buy one of the
> high-end "pre-sellout" boxes while I still can.
>
> And who knows, I may consider buying a Mactel box someday, but they'll have
> to sell me all over again. We'll see.

I'm not really mad, just frustrated and a little depressed.  Nothing
major, but I get that way when stupidity happens.

So much good stuff seems to come to an end.

It seems like it was a mistake to announce these new machines before
they are available for purchase.

A a potential customer, do I really want to buy a PPC machine now?  No
matter what Apple says about fat binaries, some would worry a lot about
it not being able to run new software.

I think software companies *WILL* release X86-only software, and do so
well before the PPC Macs are at end-of-life.

...and *Intel*, of all people... they could at least have done with AMD.
That would have taken some of the sting out of it.

Also, I see Apple has 2.7GHz PPC units for sale.

I'm not sure I believe the story about IBM not being able to make faster
chips, or that they don't want to, or that no one else could license
them and build the chips at higher clocks and lower prices.

As far as roadmap goes, I don't see much of a roadmap ahead for Intel,
so I'm not sure what is meant by Intel having a better processor roadmap
than IBM, unless they are talking purely about fabrication.

Regarding the potential for this to produce Macs at lower cost, I'm not
sure that will happen, or at least the consumer won't see it?

Does anyone really believe Apple will reduce their prices?

Seems like if this works out, we get Intel PC machines at Apple prices,
and Apple's profit margin goes up.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Tara is grass, and behold how Troy lieth
low--And even the English, perchance their hour will come!"]