[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Jun 10 09:18:38 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 07:14:01PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> It seems like it was a mistake to announce these new machines before
> they are available for purchase.

But then there would have been no software for them other than Apple
produced software.

> A a potential customer, do I really want to buy a PPC machine now?  No
> matter what Apple says about fat binaries, some would worry a lot about
> it not being able to run new software.

I'd still want more PPC machines.  A nice G5 would rock, and I could
find uses for a few more G4s.  I just don't have the budget currently.

> ...and *Intel*, of all people... they could at least have done with AMD.
> That would have taken some of the sting out of it.

That plus being pure x64 would have helped.

> I'm not sure I believe the story about IBM not being able to make faster
> chips, or that they don't want to, or that no one else could license
> them and build the chips at higher clocks and lower prices.

If nothing else, I believe that IBM wasn't interested in helping out the
notebook line.

> Does anyone really believe Apple will reduce their prices?

No.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net