[rescue] Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:16:29 CDT 2005

On 6/7/05, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> Sure, I've ranted about "Wintel" in the past - but look at the first part
of
> that, the "Win".  Windows.  Most people's bad impression of "x86" is due to
> their bad experiences running Windows on the architecture.  Intel has a
chance
> here as well, to do some amazing/neat things with the Pentium D (and
onward).

I'm not really fired up about the "oh no, it's x86 inside"--you're right,
it's the OS that is the hook for me.

What I specifically have a problem with is "Pentium D".  I read that
page on the Palladium, and if Apple is jumping on that DRM band-
wagon (I've yet to see any comments about it), then we are screwed
as consumers of digital media.

Hardware DRM has the potential to kill OSS.  Read Brad Templeton's
(EFF Chairman of the Board):

http://ideas.4brad.com/node/218

=Nadine=