[rescue] From Macintouch

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Jun 6 18:27:19 CDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 7:22 PM, velociraptor wrote:

> On 6/6/05, Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, it was specifically noted after the keynote that Apple is NOT
>> NOT NOT going to let you run OS X on any old PC. Really. Truly. No
>> way. However, in case you want to run Windows on your Mac, you'll
>> probably be able to dual boot (lol). Of course, Virtual PC will be so
>> much faster, and who knows, maybe we'll get a VMWare port.
>>

> Ick.  Would that they had gone to AMD instead.  DRM is a waste
> of everyone's time.  Or better still, why not just switch to POWER and
> ignore PPC, since IBM's focussed on improving POWER as that's
> where their own hardware sales are targeted.  (And this business
> about cooler, someone explain that?  My x86 box is hot as hell
> while my Macs are all cool and quiet...have I missed something?)

Pentium M vs. PPC970FX... per watt only... Pentium M still beats the
PPC970FX for heat generation.

Why not go POWER... (because POWER procs are not a volume proc for
the consumer market and would cost much more than PowerPC -- IBM
already makes a lot of money on them... no reason to give that up --
at least no business reason to.)

Andrew

"I BET WITH SOME LIQUID COOLING YOU COULD GET TO 500MHZ! OMGWTFBBQ!"
-- Bill Bradford joking about what to do with Cyclequads