[rescue] From Macintouch

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 18:22:24 CDT 2005

On 6/6/05, Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com> wrote:
> Also, it was specifically noted after the keynote that Apple is NOT
> NOT NOT going to let you run OS X on any old PC. Really. Truly. No
> way. However, in case you want to run Windows on your Mac, you'll
> probably be able to dual boot (lol). Of course, Virtual PC will be so
> much faster, and who knows, maybe we'll get a VMWare port.

Ick.  Would that they had gone to AMD instead.  DRM is a waste
of everyone's time.  Or better still, why not just switch to POWER and
ignore PPC, since IBM's focussed on improving POWER as that's
where their own hardware sales are targeted.  (And this business
about cooler, someone explain that?  My x86 box is hot as hell
while my Macs are all cool and quiet...have I missed something?)

> Also, though I've not seen/heard the keynote myself, they say that
> Apple is telling us that there will be a PPC emulator (this one?
> http://www.transitive.com/) that runs PPC software on x86 and x86
> software on PPC with "nearly" no performance hit. Uhh, what? Any info
> about this? Sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

Transmeta was not an "x86" compatible chip either.  Perhaps
Transitive is a similar hardware abstraction technology?

=Nadine=