[rescue] From Macintouch

Nate nate at portents.com
Mon Jun 6 18:49:49 CDT 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, velociraptor wrote:

> Ick.  Would that they had gone to AMD instead.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23714

"More importantly, they also said that Apple was playing the AMD card at
full force, so don't be too surprised if a green logo shows up on some
models."

> (And this business about cooler, someone explain that?  My x86 box is
> hot as hell while my Macs are all cool and quiet...have I missed
> something?)

Depends on what you run.  The .90mm "Venice" core AMD64 runs quite cool,
especially with their CPU speed throttling enabled on desktops (aka Cool
'n Quiet).

> Transmeta was not an "x86" compatible chip either.

It was VLIW though and ran x86 via code morphing.

> Perhaps Transitive is a similar hardware abstraction technology?

I don't think we'll be seeing anything like project DAISY running on
Intel:

http://www.research.ibm.com/daisy/demo.html

I expect something much more akin to FX!32:

http://research.compaq.com/wrl/DECarchives/DTJ/DTJP01/DTJP01PF.PDF

- Nate