[rescue] From Macintouch

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Mon Jun 6 17:53:56 CDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 17:38, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> Also, though I've not seen/heard the keynote myself, they say that
> Apple is telling us that there will be a PPC emulator (this one?
> http://www.transitive.com/) that runs PPC software on x86 and x86
> software on PPC with "nearly" no performance hit. Uhh, what? Any info
> about this? Sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

Oops, sorry to reply to my own post, but according to the document
that I linked earlier ("Universal Binary Programming Guidelines", AKA
UBPG,  http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/
universal_binary/universal_binary.pdf), Rosetta is what Apple is
calling the binary translation software, and it only mentions running
software compiled for PowerPC on x86. There is no mention of running
x86 software on the PPC.

Additionally, Rosetta does not support Classic apps or things that
require processor-specific extensions like Altivec.

The keynote address was quoted as saying it would run PPC binaries
"nearly" as fast as they ran on native hardware; UBPG does not claim
this and says that some apps will run much more slowly than they
would run on native hardware.

UBPG makes me think that it might work like FX!32 did under NT/Alpha.
It says that it "translates" the binary in blocks as needed and
caches it for future use. Can anyone who knows more about this type
of thing comment here?

  - Micah