[rescue] From Macintouch

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Mon Jun 6 17:38:48 CDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 13:22, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>
>> I am curious what the minimum spec will be ... will it run on a PIII
>> for instance?
>>

> Here's a better question:
>
> Will it run on generic hardware, or will it need an actual Mac with
> things like OpenFirmware?

In a move that probably disappointed me more than the mere fact that
they're using Pentium Ds, the answer is an amazing NO! according to
the "Universal Binary Programming Guidelines" (http://
developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/
universal_binary.pdf), x86 Macs will NOT be using Open Firmware.
suck :(.

Also, it was specifically noted after the keynote that Apple is NOT
NOT NOT going to let you run OS X on any old PC. Really. Truly. No
way. However, in case you want to run Windows on your Mac, you'll
probably be able to dual boot (lol). Of course, Virtual PC will be so
much faster, and who knows, maybe we'll get a VMWare port.

Also, though I've not seen/heard the keynote myself, they say that
Apple is telling us that there will be a PPC emulator (this one?
http://www.transitive.com/) that runs PPC software on x86 and x86
software on PPC with "nearly" no performance hit. Uhh, what? Any info
about this? Sounds utterly ridiculous to me.