[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jun 6 17:03:20 CDT 2005

Sun, 05 Jun 2005 @ 14:42 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo said:

> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:06:25PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> > > What applications are you referring to?
> >
> > Anything that uses OpenGL acceleration, for example.
>
> You can run OpenGL over the network using DGL or GLX extensions to X.

What about the OpenGL and 2D X software that requires direct frame
buffer access?

> SGI had it for IrisGL, precursor to OpenGL, like 10 years ago.

I know, and I don't remember it being very fast, and some things were
totally unusable.  Think about how much work SGI put into bandwidth for
graphics, and imagine putting it out on the net instead.

That support is also not universal.

A lot of even 2D apps run poorly over a network if their data changes a
lot, or they are just written poorly.

I suppose it is the latter that I'm most thinking about.

A lot of developers don't seem to care how well software like Gnome runs
on anything less than a 0-2 year old PC, and from discussions I've read
a lot of people no longer even think about how things will run remotely.

For example, if your application is dependent on things like DGA and
local shared memory, it won't run remotely.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are
scattered far, Truth is a fixed star, Eileen aroon!" -- Gerald Griffin]