[rescue] My new UltraSparc 5's, also my first Sun stations

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Mon Jun 6 19:43:40 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 06:03:20PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> A lot of developers don't seem to care how well software like Gnome runs
> on anything less than a 0-2 year old PC, and from discussions I've read
> a lot of people no longer even think about how things will run remotely.
>
> For example, if your application is dependent on things like DGA and
> local shared memory, it won't run remotely.

DGA is inherently non-networkable, so there really is nothing you can
do about that.  Personally I think it is/was a dumb idea to require
it, but I am no genius X programmer so maybe it solves a real need.

GNOME is a huge hog of resources on anything older than about 2 years
old, I agree with you there.

--Patrick