[rescue] [Slightly OT]: Desk/Tables for multiple computers

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Thu Jul 21 08:35:17 CDT 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 6:47 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 19:32, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>
>>    I agree that cubes should be banned.  Condemned criminals get more
>> space than most cubes afford.
>>

> I think that cubes got started because some research indicated that
> it made people feel more connected to their coworkers, or an
> integral part of the company, or something like that.

I have read, but can not find the link for, that modular offices were
seen at the time as a Good Thing.  Possibly the reasons you cited but
what stuck in my mind was that they were a vast improvement over the
open plan system.  I had to 'work' as a coder in an open plan
office.  I got more work done at night than during regular work hours.

> Now, however, they are just a nuisance and an impediment to work
> getting done.

Depends on the office, I suppose.  When we moved offices in Dallas we
had the choice to give our PCB designers an office or a nice cube.
Cube was the preferred choice - the way those guys worked could
involve a lot of person to person interaction - solid walls would
have gotten in the way.

But we got really good cubes and they didn't have to face away from
the door if they didn't want to.  I suppose when your time can be
billed at $150 per you get treated better than a run-o'-the-mill
office serf.

Brian Dunbar
System Administrator II
Desk: (920) 751-3364