[rescue] [Slightly OT]: Desk/Tables for multiple computers

Barry Keeney barryk at chaoscon.com
Thu Jul 21 12:28:19 CDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> On Jul 21, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Barry Keeney wrote:
>
> >   Not really, The real savings come from the fact they're easier to
> > change.
> >
> >   A few years back I was working in a large building and my section
> > was getting completely redone. (50ft by 200ft). I talked to our
> > manager about why they didn't put up walls/offices. He said cubes
> > were a little more then walls/desks, but easier to install and
> > later make changes
>
> And when you work for nutty suitified $BELTWAY_BANDIT who seem to think
> monthly reorg of cubeland is fun.....

   Well not really. The striping out of the old walls/stuff was a big
part of the cost. It took about a month to gut it, with electrical being
the biggest problem. Once it was gutted they reworked the heating/cooling
for the larger open space, put the main electic drops on the outer walls,
and put down carpet. The cube guys did the reset in about a week, about
50 or so cubes, with desks/etc. It would have taken 1 or 2 more months
if they used walled offices, but the materials for the offices would
have been cheaper, drywall, steel studs, etc.

   Only room they kept, and reused as a conference room, was the
computer room/vault. It had concret walls 10 inches thick. But
it's the quietest conference room I've ever been in. :^)

   Next time they redo/update the space they'll just take down the
cubes, redo the carpets and install new cubes. Should take maybe
2-3 weeks of real work, 6 months before that to fight out the
new layout... :^)

Barry Keeney
Chaos Consulting
email barryk at chaoscon.com

"Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."