[rescue] Of SPARCbooks, screens, and heat

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sun Jul 17 09:15:15 CDT 2005

   On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:

> It might be the ribbon cable that goes from LCD to motherboard.
> It gets pinched sometimes and doesn't work right - it is usually
> a very thin, very delicate piece of flat cable.

   Actually, the cable from motherboard to display on the SPARCbook
I have is a wire-bundle rather than a ribbon.  I suppose I could ohm
them out, but that means taking the notebook to pieces (again) which
I'd rather not do unless absolutely required.  The thing that ticks
me off is that it worked just fine an hour earlier.

> Were they vertical lines, each line being a single color?  Did they
> tend to be located towards the left or right sides of the screen?

   They were vertical lines, each a separate colour, and extending
one "pixel" into the border area surrounding the "viewable area".
The ones I noticed were mostly on the left side of the screen,
although the failure mode on the previous panel was identical save
that the lines were just right of center.