[rescue] Of SPARCbooks, screens, and heat

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Sat Jul 16 21:17:16 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 21:11, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>    The bad part came when I powered it up later in the day following
> a drive in 80+ degree heat when a bunch of vertical lines showed up
> on the LCD.  I had another one do that to me some time back, under
> hot conditions, and the lines never went away, forcing me to replace
> the screen.  Now, it seems, I've got a repeat on my hands.  The machine
> was in a carrying bag in the passenger seat, occasionally exposed to
> sunlight.

It might be the ribbon cable that goes from LCD to motherboard.  It gets pinched sometimes and doesn't work right - it is usually a very thin, very delicate piece of flat cable.

Were they vertical lines, each line being a single color?  Did they tend to be located towards the left or right sides of the screen?

--Patrick