[rescue] Of SPARCbooks, screens, and heat

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sat Jul 16 20:11:15 CDT 2005

   Greetings Rescuers!

   I have a small question about SPARCbooks and their screens.  For
the first time in a good long while I powered up one of my SPARCbooks
(a 3gx) (following the discovery that my promary laptop's disk had
gone south) and everthing was splendid (just the way it should be).

   The bad part came when I powered it up later in the day following
a drive in 80+ degree heat when a bunch of vertical lines showed up
on the LCD.  I had another one do that to me some time back, under
hot conditions, and the lines never went away, forcing me to replace
the screen.  Now, it seems, I've got a repeat on my hands.  The machine
was in a carrying bag in the passenger seat, occasionally exposed to
sunlight.

   So -- Do SPARCbook screens hate heat?  I don't want to risk blowing
yet another LCD panel.

   Cheers.