[rescue] E250 rack-mount

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Jul 15 10:30:36 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 09:48:44AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 09:37:25AM -0500, Mike Parson wrote:
>> Just like I told them to put a break-glass cover over the Big Red
>> Button [TM].  Which they didn't do till after the SECOND time someone
>> hit it and killed all the customer systems.
>
> That was my first day on the job [0].  It killed the internal IT stuff
> too.

Yeah, both sides of the DC down.

>> Got lots of stories about that place, most probably should be
>> discussed in a public forum.  Technically, the company I worked for
>> doesn't exist any more, and any confidentiality agreements I signed
>> are probably expired by now anyways. =)
>
> Sounds like I missed all the fun. 8-)

Oh, I've told you a few of them. =)

> Bill
>
> [0] no, it wasn't me that pushed it.  Walking into a COMPLETELY SILENT

>From what I heard, the second one was a new IT person's first day.  If
it *had* been you, I'm sure I would have heard, but I understand it was
someone of the female persuasion.

The first time, it was a SWB/SBC tech.  He also hit the manual FM200
discharge, but that button requires you pulling a safety pin out first.

I wasn't working for them at the time, but the company I was with did
colo there.  We were getting ready to show our first demo to the board
of the product we were developing when the button was hit.  That always
impresses your investors, lemme tell ya.

> datacenter [1] except for the sound of the backup batteries on the EMC
> frames giving out was a butt-puckering moment, I tell you.
>
> [1] Pictures with identifying information removed:
> http://www.mrbill.net/dc/ See picture 153?  I had to replace EVERY
> POWER SUPPLY in that stack of DL360s over the course of six months...
> and picture 60 is for you, Mike..

Yeah, that hole in the wall right next to the box was part of the
previous attempt to prevent accidental button pushing by putting a clear
plastic hinged cover over it.  That didn't work so well either.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org