[rescue] E250 rack-mount

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Jul 15 10:55:09 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 10:30:36AM -0500, Mike Parson wrote:
> >From what I heard, the second one was a new IT person's first day.  If
> it *had* been you, I'm sure I would have heard, but I understand it was
> someone of the female persuasion.

Correct.  What I heard was that the door didn't close all the way, and the
buzzer/alarm went off - someone waved at hear meaning "shut the door" and
she interpreted it as "hit the button".

The next week everyone had to go through official "this is what this button
does, this is when you should and should not push it" training.  The person
who had pushed it wasn't disciplined, because she hadn't been TRAINED on
proper usage of the Big Red Button.  I figure the jibes from her peers were
enough.

> Yeah, that hole in the wall right next to the box was part of the
> previous attempt to prevent accidental button pushing by putting a clear
> plastic hinged cover over it.  That didn't work so well either.

(Mike - you've seen this, but its a funny story for the rest of the list)

See http://www.mrbill.net/dc/IM000055.jpg

That door led from the employee cube area to this conference rom:

http://www.mrbill.net/dc/IM000056.jpg

That conference room has another door that opens onto the datacenter, and
consequently is badge controlled as well:

http://www.mrbill.net/dc/IM000062.jpg

Due to this arrangement, if you went into the conference room without your
badge (tailgating someone else during a meeting), you could get locked into
the room if you didn't have a badge to get you out into either the employee
area or the colo room.  So, they finally had to put up that sign.  :)

(yes, it happened to me once, pre-sign)

Bill

--
bill bradford