[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jul 5 22:14:01 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 10:29:59PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:

> That is why I have several motherboards with blown capacitors--because
> somebody replaced the special internal dielectric material with maple
> syrup and sold them on the open market for a penny less per piece than
> the real deal.

Close, but not true. The formula for the electrolyte, the liquid inside,
was stolen by the Tiwanese manufacturer from a Japanese company. The problem
is the Japanese were not so stupid as to let their trade secret fall into
competitor's hands and the formula stolen was missing a key ingredient.

The ingredient was some sort of stabilizing agent, so that when the capacitors
came off the line they passed all the tests. Six months to a year later,
they overheated in normal use and split open.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
VoN  Skype: mendelsonfamily. Looking for work as a CTO or consultant in
handheld gaming, large systems development, handheld device construction, etc.
See U.S. patent applications  20050108591,  20050107165.