[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Jul 5 22:21:21 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 23:14, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Close, but not true. The formula for the electrolyte, the liquid inside,
> was stolen by the Tiwanese manufacturer from a Japanese company. The problem
> is the Japanese were not so stupid as to let their trade secret fall into
> competitor's hands and the formula stolen was missing a key ingredient.

"Electrolyte" is no doubt the proper term - I zoned out and wrote "dielectric material".

And they probably did not use maple syrup - it's too expensive :-) .

> The ingredient was some sort of stabilizing agent, so that when the capacitors
> came off the line they passed all the tests. Six months to a year later,
> they overheated in normal use and split open.

Even Dell's more expensive line (GX270 I think) had this problem... it bit everyone, because everyone uses the cheapest parts they can.  Comparing an E250 motherboard to anything non-Opteron x86 just makes the differences obvious.

--Patrick