[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Jul 5 21:29:59 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 21:46, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> >

> >>Intel says they started in 1998... why does it take the Wintel world
> >>so long to do stuff like this?
>
> > Because this is for IA64, not IA32.  Wintel/Itanium systems already have
> > this.  No one's put sufficient pressure on the IA32 (or even AMD64)
> > people to fix the BIOS.
>
> I was thinking that Intel has the connections to generate that kind of
> pressure.

All Intel and/or others need to do, is come up with an alternate method that saves 5 cents per motherboard.

It will be adopted as soon as somebody can write a driver that works with Windows, i.e. within 2 weeks.

Remember, x86-land is all about squeezing every single penny of costs out of the price of the hardware.

That is why I have several motherboards with blown capacitors--because somebody replaced the special internal dielectric material with maple syrup and sold them on the open market for a penny less per piece than the real deal.

--Patrick