[rescue] Sun crushes the used Sun market

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 5 20:46:50 CDT 2005

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>

>>Intel says they started in 1998... why does it take the Wintel world
>>so long to do stuff like this?

> Because this is for IA64, not IA32.  Wintel/Itanium systems already have
> this.  No one's put sufficient pressure on the IA32 (or even AMD64)
> people to fix the BIOS.

I was thinking that Intel has the connections to generate that kind of
pressure.

I've noticed that flash ROMs have gotten pretty big, and on my system I
don't think even a quarter of its capacity is used.

It would be nice to see something like the DEC Alphastation had: a
dual-personality BIOS.

Normal users would see the same old crud, but there would be an option
to use a good boot ROM for those who wanted it.