[rescue] Poor Man's WiFi extender

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Sun Oct 24 23:53:22 CDT 2004

> Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:18:02 -0400
> From: patrick at mail.zill.net (Patrick Giagnocavo)
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 04:08:33PM -0700, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
> > If someone knows a general-purpose way to split a connection from one
> > computer to a distant one over two parallel routes, I'd love to knowabout
> > it.
>
> You would have to do some math, but buying a WiFi device that can do
> dual antennas for "antenna diversity" might do the trick.  Then
> install them X number of feet apart.  When one antenna signal gets
> weak, the other antenna is used.  I can dig up the math for the
> calculation from the WLAN book I have, I think.
>
> You would need to know the length of the boat, about how far it is
> from the antenna, how far away the other antenna is from the boat, and
> the height of the boat.
>
> Alternatively, buying a cheap 30' tower for your antenna from Radio
> Shack or whatever might fix the problem completely.
>
> --P

so far as i know the WiFi devices that can do diversity in the real world
are receive only diversity, and due to header timing, stick to only 802.11b
devices (802.11g just can't do diversity).  i'd recommend the Senao
NL-2511CD Plus which has +23dBm output (200mW) and good receive sensitivity.
we use them extensively in a community network in Sonoma County, Calif, USA
(albeit not in diversity as ships floating in the hills are exceedingly rare).

-ron