[rescue] Poor Man's WiFi extender

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Oct 25 00:00:38 CDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 09:53:22PM -0700, Ron Wickersham wrote:
> so far as i know the WiFi devices that can do diversity in the real world
> are receive only diversity, and due to header timing, stick to only 802.11b
> devices (802.11g just can't do diversity).  i'd recommend the Senao
> NL-2511CD Plus which has +23dBm output (200mW) and good receive sensitivity.
> we use them extensively in a community network in Sonoma County, Calif, USA
> (albeit not in diversity as ships floating in the hills are exceedingly rare).

Have you considered using WaveRider gear instead?  It's NLOS, so passing
ships shouldn't disrupt it.

(Of course, early next year you should be able to buy 802.16a hardware,
which is much faster and is also NLOS...)

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net