[rescue] sharpen up an old Sun CRT?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Nov 24 08:21:47 CST 2004

Patrick asked, regarding a fuzzy monitor:

> Any way to sharpen it up?  Or do I chuck it and get another?

   I know it's naughty to admin on this list, but I have Sun support
contracts. When I found a fuzzy SUn-badged Sony CRT, I simply opened a
Case and complained that the monitor on one of my systems had lost
focus. They shipped me out a nice, new 19" CRT.
   Of course, it was DOA, the side having been stove in during shipping,
so they sent another. (And did you know they won't pick up replacement
parts being returned? You have to haul then down to the UPS Store, or
pay for the pick-up. Burns my grits...) Since the second replacement
display was also dead (!), I had a tech hand-deliver a third (now a 21"
unit, since they were understandably out of 19" displays!) and pick up
the other two.
   Anyway, the new one weighs like sin and is about 28" deep, but it
beats the pants off the ol' thing I shipped back to them, collect!
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator