[rescue] Cups on Solaris

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Nov 5 11:44:01 CST 2004

Is anyone using CUPS on solaris?  Where did you get it from?  Sun's
Software Companion?

I have an HP 1200D printer that I want to use.  I don't really care
about CUPS, but it seems to work well enough on linux at work, so I'm
willing to give it a shot at home on Solaris.  I definately need
ghostscript and hpijs though, even if I don't use CUPs.

Anyway, I figured that since Sun offers CUPS, EPS ghostscript, and hpijs
as part of their Software Companion set, that that would be the most
straightforward way to go.  The problem is that their dependency set and
their printing set seem to be a mess.

After installing both, CUPs will run, but it can't actually print.
Running ghostscript seperately reveals a library problem.  It wants
libpng.so.3, but the only libpng in the SFW packages seems to be
libpng.so.2.

Looking through Sunfreeware, they have gnu ghostscript, but not hpijs.
But, their gnu postscript will at least run a little.  I don't relish
trying to match the Sunfreeware GS to the SFW hpijs driver, but I could
attempt to undertake that if I must.  Blastwave has a slightly newer GS,
but still no hpijs.

And to make matters entirely more fun, I've lost internet access at home
(my crappy phone line where I was lucky to even get a 33.6k connection
somehow went and got worse so that now I can't get any connection over
it).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net