[rescue] Cups on Solaris

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sat Nov 6 09:51:49 CST 2004

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Is anyone using CUPS on solaris?  Where did you get it from?  Sun's
> Software Companion?

no. I downloaded it from  the official website and compiled it with gcc 3.4
You also need to get the latest version of Ghostscript, hpijs and
foomatic-gswraper, foomatic rip and the foomatic ppd from the
linuxprinting.org.

ghostscript also has some libraries it needs, such as png, zlib, jpeg.

If the printer is on a windows machine, you need to get the smbspool module
from the samba distribution.

The trick is to compile it from scratch, put it in /usr/local (make sure
to update the default library search path) and use a relativly sane cupsd.conf.
(i.e. not the redhat sample).

I'd gladly share my cupsd.conf file, I'll post it seperately.

Note that right now, the printers here are on a linux and two different
windows xp machines. I just print from the solaris machines (1 sol10 sparc,
1 sol10 x86) to them.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel
gsm at mendelson.com gsm at gwandt.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838