[rescue] Battery rebuilds [ was: scrap sparcbook]

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Fri Nov 5 11:09:27 CST 2004

> Well, in the Duo batteries, it's just stock solder-tabbed NMiH cells
> (!higher capacity than the originals :-) and a little IC that you need
> to desolder and reuse.  Not much to it all all, really.  I mean, my
> soldering skills are primitive at best, and I took it on.  The real
> pain is cracking the danged thing open in such a way as to be able to
> glue/tape it back together.

This is especially a pain with the "smart" batteries on the PB 500 series.
 The wiring in there - laminated flex bus - is _extremely_ easy to break.

> Anyone have any pointers for putting ABS plastic stuff back together,
> types of glues to use, that kind of thing?  I still have a stack of
> batteries to rebuild at some point--there's a lot of interest on the
> Mac swap lists for resale of rebuilts.

The best suggestion I've ever seen came from the PC modders who do clear
Lexan cases.  They take a bit of acetone and dissolve some of the Lexan in
it and use the resulting mix to seal and attach the other parts.  Should
work with ABS as well without too much issue but obviously smelly as all
hell.

Your other option for ABS is one of the heat guns.

This all reminds me that I need to get some LION cells for my wifes
Toshiba battery.

Mike
----
"I think we used too much!" - Chris Knight