[rescue] sparcstation IPC and sparcstation 1+

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Nov 5 11:25:11 CST 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 10:59:28AM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:

> Dude, I'm really against getting rid of hardware but these are "cost of
> shipping" systems.  I suspect you can find some home to give them away to
> but don't work too hard at it.
>
> Or you could use them for really slow file/web/print/DNS servers.

Come one, they should be decent for DNS servers.  They should also be
decent as print servers, provided that you aren't trying to run
ghostscript on them.  NTP servers also come to mind as a task they
should be reasonable at.  DHCP/BOOTP comes to mind here too.

> The IPC is too slow for anything but a dial-up firewall and good luck
> getting a modem to run on it at a decent speed.

Really?  I would have expected it to be able to keep up with basic
NAT/ipf duties for most DSL type connections.  Sure, there is a lot of
fancy ipf stuff that can be done, but for the basics that I use, it's
hard to imagine such a machine being unable to keep up.

But, I must admit that I tried it on a SS2, not an IPC.

Currently I'm using a U1 as a NAT box, but that's only because of it
supporting higher speed serial onboard than the older machines did.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/