[rescue] Tektronix Phaser 840 plus

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Wed Jun 16 22:48:10 CDT 2004

The Renaissance Man wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:09:50PM -0400, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>

>>>Just rescued this baby out of the hands of a bad bad dumpster. It's just
>>>warming up. So far so good. I hope it didnt get damaged during the rain
>>>and looks like the plastic to the right has a dent/crack. But so far so
>>>good. *excited*
>>>
>>>-- Thomas
>>>

>>Good luck! I was given a phaser 340. Had high hopes, bought a set of
>>colorstix (aka gold nuggets, they are worth more than gold it seems).
>>A few of the jets seem to be clogged and I don't know how to fix it. I
>>upped the crystal drive strength on the unit and a few started working,
>>but not many. I backed it down per recommendations of not frying the print
>>head.
>>
>>Neat printers, we could use one for printing some marketing materials. But
>>eBay supplies is a must. The gov't should be banned from buying the
>>supplies. Gov't offices will regularly drop $1k+ for some supplies.
>>
>>To give you an idea, the printers will eat ~$100 in supplies if it is
>>power cycled 8 times.
>>

>Yup.  My former-- employer bought one over much advice to the contrary.
>It was a total piece of crap.  Six months later they were talking in
>hushed tones about how they were payign fifty cents a page in
>consumables to feed the damned thing, and I manfully bit my tongue and
>refrained from saying "Well, I told you so."
>
>>From saying it too loudly, anyway.

We have a Phaser 860 at our office and it is really everybody's friend.
I've been using a phaser
850 at the old job for years and we where loving it too. One good thing
too is that the wax is
way more environmental than laserprinters. That's why I really want to
get this sucker up and
running for my printer at home. It fits perfectly on the fridge and with
the 802.11b bridge this
would be the perfect printer. Looking into getting the printhead
replaced or rebuilding this one
first. I mean nothing lost right? hehe.

-- Thomas