[rescue] Tektronix Phaser 840 plus

The Renaissance Man alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Jun 16 22:26:57 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:09:50PM -0400, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> > Just rescued this baby out of the hands of a bad bad dumpster. It's just
> > warming up. So far so good. I hope it didnt get damaged during the rain
> > and looks like the plastic to the right has a dent/crack. But so far so
> > good. *excited*
> >
> > -- Thomas
>
> Good luck! I was given a phaser 340. Had high hopes, bought a set of
> colorstix (aka gold nuggets, they are worth more than gold it seems).
> A few of the jets seem to be clogged and I don't know how to fix it. I
> upped the crystal drive strength on the unit and a few started working,
> but not many. I backed it down per recommendations of not frying the print
> head.
>
> Neat printers, we could use one for printing some marketing materials. But
> eBay supplies is a must. The gov't should be banned from buying the
> supplies. Gov't offices will regularly drop $1k+ for some supplies.
>
> To give you an idea, the printers will eat ~$100 in supplies if it is
> power cycled 8 times.

Yup.  My former-- employer bought one over much advice to the contrary.
It was a total piece of crap.  Six months later they were talking in
hushed tones about how they were payign fifty cents a page in
consumables to feed the damned thing, and I manfully bit my tongue and
refrained from saying "Well, I told you so."

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net