[rescue] Cluesticks (was Mounting and Dumping)

Eric Dobbs edobbs at freemode.net
Fri Jan 23 15:58:05 CST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:48:11PM -0600, nimitz at ns1.nimitzbrood.com wrote:
> > My problem is what we are doing now seems to be alot of holding the
> > average and above folks back so the below average folks can keep up.  This
> > seems like a bad idea.. Let me rephrase that, it would be the stupidest
> > idea I'd ever heard if I'd never heard politicans or suits talk.  I don't
> > claim to know the solution, that's the hard part.  Most folks seem
> > unwilling to see what's going to happen in the next few decades as these
> > badly educated folks flood the markets.  I'm not looking forward to those
> > years.
>
> I have several problems with this whole situation.  (Not to mention the memories of a scary SF story where everyone in the world was hampered in some way to make them all "equal".)

_Harrison Bergeron_, by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.  You can find the full text
of the story by googling for the title, but it'd be more fun to find it in a
used book store - seems more appropriate somehow.

It's my favorite Vonnegut short story, I think it was the first piece of
his that I read.

--
Eric Dobbs